Verizon and AT&T: Perma-Cookies

Did you know that your browsing information is being monitored and sold while you use your phone? Verizon and AT&T have cookies, in the form of Unique Identifier Headers (UIDH), that insert a string of numbers, letters and characters into your HTTP requests. This information allows any website to build a user profile based on your unique identifier. This allows for targeted ads, tracking and storing of your browsing history. If that doesn't scare you, what if I told you they've been doing it for over two years now. But because it's not something that you can easily see, it has gone almost entirely unnoticed for this long.

This aggravates me, and gets me very annoyed. I do not want my information being stored, sold or looked at. I do not want ads targeted at me based on my search history. I hate the idea of anything related to me being tracked at all for that matter, and most irritating is that they do this in such a hidden way....Yet we're basically forced to stay in their game because they've monopolized the industry to the point where switching companies means having worse service connectivity. All frustration aside, I think this is an issue that needs further exploration.

Sources:
Naked Security
Propublica
Mac Rumors

No comments:

Post a Comment